
Burkina Faso trader attack: Ghana’s dependence on external food sources becoming a security risk - Prof Aning
4 mins read
17th February 2026 11:00:18 AM
5 mins readBy: Phoebe Martekie Doku

The Minister for Interior, Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak, has made a plea to the public following the death of seven (7) Ghanaian tomato traders in northern Burkina Faso on Sunday, February 15.
Addressing the media on Monday, February 16 , the Minister called for an end to the circulation of images and videos showing the burnt bodies of the victims of the terrorist attack. He added that the continuous sharing of such images is causing additional pain to the families of the deceased as they mourn.
“Unfortunately, on Saturday, our compatriots travelling through Titao were caught in a violent confrontation between extremists and Burkina Faso’s armed forces. 18 Ghanaian tomato traders were affected, 10 men and eight women. The attackers forced the women off the trucks and opened fire indiscriminately. Several individuals, including the drivers, died instantly, and the trucks were set ablaze, leaving the bodies burnt beyond recognition.
“Families of the victims are uncertain. Sharing footage of burnt bodies is not only insensitive but also adds to their trauma. I plead with everyone to stop circulating these images and put themselves in the shoes of the grieving families,” he said.
The victims were burnt beyond recognition during the terror attack. They were buried on Monday, February 16. Earlier, the Minister for the Interior and National Security, Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak, revealed that an investigation had been launched into the unfortunate incident, which also left three men injured, while one woman remains in critical condition.
But speaking to the media, the Minister disclosed that the victims were buried due to the state of decomposition of their bodies. According to the minister, the deceased were a part of a group of 18 Ghanaian tomato traders and truck drivers.
“The seven bodies have been burnt beyond recognition. As at yesterday, we agreed they had begun decomposing and had to be buried. So the Burkina Faso authorities told us [Ghanaians] that they would bury them at 10 a.m today. But our women who are not really injured can go and witness and take as many pictures as possible," he added.
Additionally, the minister noted that “And the sad thing is that we lost seven of our men. Three of them got injured. One woman was critically injured, and others were not badly injured”.
Ghana and Burkina Faso have since shared a long border. Burkina Faso remains deeply affected by insurgent violence, with cross-border implications for neighboring countries like Ghana.
Northern Burkina Faso has faced persistent insecurity due to jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda and ISIS. Attacks often target military posts, civilians, and traders moving across borders, disrupting local economies and cross-border trade.
Burkina Faso remains deeply affected by insurgent violence, with cross-border implications for neighboring countries like Ghana. In 2025, Burkina Faso’s military government banned grain and cereal exports.
To demonstrate their commitment, Burkinabe authorities have agreed to lift restrictions on 23 trucks carrying beans that were previously seized.
Additional shipments of cereals meant for Ghana are also expected to be released in the coming days.Ghana, which depends on imports from Burkina Faso, had faced concerns over possible supply shortages and rising prices due to the ban.
However, after President Mahama’s diplomatic engagements in the AES region, Gbevlo-Lartey is confident that relations between both countries have been strengthened.
During an interview with Blessed Sogah on Connect Africa, he explained: “President Mahama has successfully addressed the situation, and further discussions between key stakeholders from both sides will ensure a concrete resolution.
"The issue is largely settled. For instance, 23 trucks that had been held up have been released, and the Burkinabe authorities have assured President Mahama that the remaining eight will also be let through shortly.”
Meanwhile, on January 29, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) confirmed that Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger had officially exited the bloc after the end of their six-month grace period due to diplomatic tensions after military takeovers and due to economic and social failures by past governments.
The military juntas of these countries are led by Captain Ibrahim Traoré, General Assimi Goïta, and General Abdourahmane Tchiani, respectively. The trio accused the ECOWAS of failing to safeguard member states and deviating from the founding principles and Pan-African spirit.
In response to these claims, ECOWAS revealed that it did not receive formal notice before their withdrawal; therefore, it called for a dialogue to address their concerns. "The ECOWAS Commission remains seized with the development and shall make further pronouncements as the situation evolves," it added.
President John Dramani Mahama extended invitations to the military leaders of Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger to participate in the official launch of ECOWAS’s 50th anniversary celebrations, which took place in Accra on April 22.
The invitation to the Sahelian states was part of Ghana’s broader efforts to rebuild relations and enhance cooperation for a stable and united West African region.International Relations Analyst Dr. Yaw Gebe endorsed President John Dramani Mahama’s decision, describing the gesture as a positive step toward regional reconciliation.
He, however, advised the ECOWAS to critically reflect on the underlying reasons behind the exit of the Sahel nations and emphasised the need for the bloc to adopt a more inclusive and problem-solving approach going forward.
“My prayer and longing is that whatever the Nigerian President, Bola Tinubu or President John Mahama are doing, they should be conscious of the problems or challenges these countries are facing. The ECOWAS must be willing and ready to tackle those problems collectively. And that is a major shortcoming on the part of ECOWAS,” he said.
Despite the formal withdrawal of Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) on January 29, citizens from these countries will still be able to use their national passports and identity cards bearing the ECOWAS logo for travel within the region.
ECOWAS has assured that, in the interest of regional cooperation and to prevent unnecessary disruptions, all relevant authorities within and outside the bloc’s member states should continue to recognize these travel documents until further notice.
Additionally, trade and economic activities involving these three nations will not face immediate restrictions. Goods and services from Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger will continue to receive the same treatment under the ECOWAS Trade Liberalization Scheme (ETLS) and investment policy.
Citizens from the affected countries will also retain their right to visa-free movement, residence, and establishment across ECOWAS states, ensuring that travel and cross-border activities remain unhindered.
Furthermore, officials from Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger working within ECOWAS will be given full support and cooperation in carrying out their assignments.These measures will remain in place as ECOWAS leaders work on defining the future relationship between the bloc and the three nations.
A special structure has been put in place to facilitate discussions on the next steps. The regional body emphasized that these transitional arrangements aim to maintain stability, minimize confusion, and support the people and businesses affected by the withdrawal.
4 mins read
1 min read
3 mins read
5 mins read
5 mins read
5 mins read
5 mins read
4 mins read
4 mins read