
COCOBOD needs GHS30bn to keep running - Majority
5 mins read
20th February 2026 9:18:52 AM
6 mins readBy: Phoebe Martekie Doku

The Ministry of Education has frowned upon the persistent assaults on teachers in some Senior High Schools (SHSs).
According to a press release issued by the Ministry of Education on Thursday, February 19, it has observed violent attacks on teachers by students, emphasizing that it is working to address the situation through stringent measures.
“The Ministry notes with grave concern incidents involving assaults on teachers and related acts of violence in schools across the country. We take strong exception to these developments and are determined to nip them in the bud. Perpetrators will face severe consequences under Ghanaian law,” parts of the release read.
President Mahama has condemned the rising attacks on teachers by students. His remarks come after a video capturing a group of final-year students from Kade Senior High School (SHS) ambushing and beating the teacher outside the school premises.
The teacher, identified as Mr. Michael Quayson, was attacked by the students while he was invigilating the WASSCE exam and strictly enforcing rules. The students slapped and struck him, allegedly using sticks and tree branches, while others recorded the attack.
Speaking on Monday, January 5, 2026, while addressing the Delegates Conference of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) in Accra, Ghana, President Mahama highlighted the need for the students to be prosecuted and not allowed to go scot free. According to him, such acts are criminal, slamming the conduct of the students as an audacious “sense of entitlement”.
“Disciplinary action. I saw that video of, I think, a math teacher being beaten because, when he was invigilating, he refused to allow our children to cheat. They had a sense of entitlement and asked, "Why did you not allow us to cheat?".I mean, how is that? This is assault. It's criminal, you know, the President mentioned.President Mahama expressed his disdain about the case being settled out of legal proceedings.
“The unfortunate thing is that the matter went to the police station, and the parents of the students went to the police and said they had settled the matter amicably. But when we inquired, the police also said that the teacher was compensated, so he didn't want to press charges anymore,” he added.
He recommended, “But I said, at least the children should have been booked. They should have been taken through the legal process. And at least, if nothing else, they should have been bonded to be of good behaviour for a period of time. Then we would believe that justice had been done.”
This, he believes, will serve as a deterrent to others, as an amicable settlement was the best resolution.
“But just for parents to come and pay a little compensation, it will encourage others to do the same, you know, adding that, “And so, as for assaults on teachers, I am with you 100%. We will deal with it.”
Violence in SHSs has become a trend in the country. Between January and February this year, Ghana recorded five violent clashes in SHSs.
These incidents have witnessed students possessing weapons, destroying properties and others engaging in brutal confrontations.
Stakeholders on the other hand, have bemoaned the growing indiscipline and insecurity on school campuses, prompting calls for an immediate intervention.
The Ghana Education Service (GES) in the Eastern Region has slapped a two-year ban on three Senior High Schools over acts of hooliganism.
The schools include the Koforidua Senior High Technical School (SECTECH), New Juaben Senior High School (NJUSCO), and Nsutam Senior High Technical School (NSUTECH). Until 2028, these schools will not be allowed to participate in all sports and related co-curricular activities.
This comes after stakeholders' investigations proved that these schools were involved in hooliganism during the just-ended Regional Super Zonal Sports Competition.
In a letter dated February 11, 2026, the Eastern Regional Education Directorate stated the joint expression of regret by the affected schools' sports executives and school authorities following the chaos that happened during the zonal games on February 4 and 6, 2026.
“Koforidua Senior High Technical School (Sectech), New Juaben Senior High School (Njuasco), New Nsutam Senior High Technical School (Nsutech). The Management of Eastern Regional Education Directorate and the Regional 2 Cycle Schools' Sports Executives express their displeasure in the recent incidents before, during, and after the Regional Super Zonal Sports (Games) Competition,” parts of the statement said.
It continued that their students, during the regional games, violated some provisions that guide the conduct of students as far as GES laws are concerned.
It said, “in accordance with the Ghana Education Service Code of Conduct (2.17 Physical and Psychological Violence) and the Eastern Region Schools and Colleges Sports Association (ERSCSA) Code of Discipline: ARTICLE VII (Disturbances/Riots/Hooliganisms) and ARTICLE VIII (Sanctions/Punishments), the students in your school were found engaging in acts of hooliganism which are unacceptable and contradicts to the rule of discipline in GES.”
This section prohibits any acts of physical assault, intimidation, bullying, or psychological abuse among students, stressing that violence, whether physical (fighting, attacking, causing injury) or psychological (harassment, threats, humiliation), is a serious breach of discipline.
The penalties for violations under Article VII. Sanctions include:Suspension or banning of schools from sports and extracurricular activities. Withdrawal of privileges such as hosting or participating in competitions.
Additional disciplinary measures imposed by GES or the regional sports association. The severity of punishment depends on the gravity of the offence, with repeat or violent incidents attracting harsher sanctions.
In addition, the affected schools have been directed to pay a GHC 500 fine and be charged for any damage caused to any property or individual, or injury that was caused.
GES said, “…….liable to a fine of Five hundred Ghana cedis (GhC500.00). b. surcharged to pay for the cost of any damage/injury to Property or Individual, which shall be determined by a Committee based on the extent of the damage/injury,” urging authorities of the affected schools to caution all their students, both old and new, to avoid further sanctions.
“Please ensure that your students, staff, old students and other supporters adhere to all rules and regulations governing GES and ERSCSA to avoid any further disciplinary actions. Management counts on your cooperation,” GES added.
The ban by the GES comes barely a week after a student of Koforidua Senior High Technical School (SECTECH) was hospitalised and given medical care after a violent attack by some Form Two students of New Juaben Senior High School during a clash at the Eastern Regional Inter-Schools Sports Festival in Koforidua.
According to reports, the victim, identified as Jerome Appiah, was eating waakye on his way to campus when the Juaben students attacked him with a machete, leaving him with a deep wound to the shoulder and bleeding profusely.
This prompted fears of reprisal attacks and heightened security concerns. Police intervened and quickly ushered Jerome to the Eastern Regional Hospital, where he was receiving treatment and was said to be in stable condition.
To prevent an escalation, the Headmaster of Koforidua SECTECH, Emmanuel Frimpong Benjabeng, joined by other teachers, rushed to the Koforidua Youth Resource Centre, where the inter-schools sports festival was being held.
However, while the headmaster was in an engagement with the New Juaben South Municipal Education Director, Mustapha Haruna Appiah, he was informed that further disturbances had broken out, forcing him to leave the meeting abruptly.
Later, it emerged that a teacher of SECTECH, Henry Kudiabor, had also sustained a head injury after being struck by a flying stone during clashes involving students of Nsutam Senior High Technical School, who were allegedly pelting stones.
The New Juaben South Municipal Education Director, Mustapha Haruna Appiah, expressed concern over the recurring violence and called on the police and event organisers to investigate the incident thoroughly and tighten security to prevent further attacks.
This added to a worrying trend of rising indiscipline and violent confrontations among students in Ghanaian schools, particularly second-cycle schools nationwide.
Last year was marked by at least five major violent incidents recorded between January and July 2025, from Kinbu’s teacher assault to Nalerigu’s fatal shootings.
5 mins read
2 mins read
6 mins read
6 mins read
4 mins read
3 mins read
4 mins read
3 mins read
5 mins read