
Ghana to begin operation of Non-interest banks this year - BoG governor
3 mins read
22nd May 2026 2:03:53 PM
2 mins readBy: Abigail Ampofo

Ghana has recorded the first death of a pilgrim in the 2026 Hajj. This was confirmed by the Pilgrims Affairs Office of Ghana (PAOG) in an official statement dated May 22, 2026, signed by its Director of Communications, Mohammed Amin Lamptey.
According to the statement, Musah Sidi, aged 53, collapsed during Tawaf at the Haram in Mecca and passed away shortly after.
“The Pilgrims Affairs Office of Ghana (PAOG) regrets to officially announce the passing of Mr. Musah Sidi (53), a Ghanaian prospective pilgrim, who collapsed at the Haram during Tawaf… and passed away shortly afterwards”, parts of the statement noted.
The office confirmed that the bereaved family has been formally informed of his demise, while arrangements are underway for his body to be prepared for Janaza prayers after Jumu’ah prayers before burial citing that according to the Islamic religion’s tradition, it’s an honour to die during worship to their maker.
“In Islamic tradition, a pilgrim who dies in a state of worship and in Ihram is promised immense spiritual honour in the hereafter,” the statement added.
The Pilgrims Affairs Office extended its condolences to the family, sympathisers and loved ones of the deceased.
“We extend our deepest condolences to his immediate family, sympathizers and loved ones. May Allah forgive his shortcomings and grant him Jannatul Firdaus”, the office noted.
Meanwhile, the first batch of Ghanaian pilgrims departed for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in early May. Their departure was announced by the Communications Director of the Hajj Board, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, during a media briefing on Friday, May 1.
The pilgrims left from Tamale Airport at about 11:30 GMT on Friday, May 1, for the annual pilgrimage to Mecca and were expected to arrive at 4:00 p.m. GMT.
According to the Hajj Board, of the 6,000 Ghanaians expected to undertake the pilgrimage that year, 430 had been airlifted, leaving 5,570 pilgrims yet to depart for Saudi Arabia on 18 scheduled flights between May 1 and May 18, 2026.
Mr Amin Lamptey stated that all the necessary arrangements had been put in place to ensure a successful pilgrimage.
To facilitate a smooth stay in Saudi Arabia, the Board had deployed a team ahead of the pilgrims to receive them. The pilgrims were scheduled to spend three days in Medina before proceeding to Mecca.
He said, “This year, we have enhanced our communication systems to ensure that sensitive information is handled accurately and shared appropriately”.
For his part, Mr John advised the prospective pilgrims to respect the laws of Saudi Arabia and conduct themselves in a manner that upheld Ghana’s image.
“You are not only carrying your personal faith, but also the image of our nation. Let your conduct reflect the values of peace, tolerance and unity that Ghana is known for,” he said.
3 mins read
2 mins read
1 min read
3 mins read
3 mins read
2 mins read
4 mins read
3 mins read
3 mins read