Spokesman for KwaZulu-Natal Emergency Medical Services, Robert Mckenzie has confirmed the death of three people who got drowned after a huge wave at Durban’s Bay of Plenty in South Africa.
He said at least 17 people have been hospitalized and in critical condition.
The incident occurred at approximately 5.00 pm local time (15:00 GMT) on Saturday, according to a statement from the eThekwini municipality.
The office said 35 lifeguards were involved in the “mass rescue effort” and that paramedics attended to more than 100 people caught in the incident.
The dead included a teenager, it said.
The incident took place as Durban has gradually been reopening its beaches after closure due to high levels of E. coli bacteria coming from the city’s sewer system, which was badly damaged by deadly floods earlier in the year.
The floods, the worst in living memory, killed more than 400 people in April.
Durban’s beaches are also preparing for an influx of visitors over the coming festive holidays, according to local media outlets.