A venomous cobra met its demise after attacking an eight-year-old boy in India, who bit the wild snake to death after it wrapped itself around his hand.
Per the New Indian Express, the incident transpired in India’s Pandarpadh village in Jashpur district on Monday. 8-year-old Deepak was playing in the backyard of his house on Monday when a poisonous cobra bit him on his hand.
“The snake got wrapped around my hand and bit me,” Deepak told the outlet. “I was in great pain. As the reptile didn’t budge when I tried to shake it off, I bit it hard twice. It all happened in a flash.”
Deepak’s family rushed him to a local health centre, where he was given anti-snake venom and kept for observation. Dr. Jems Minj said Deepak luckily suffered a “dry bite,” meaning there was no venom in the snake’s fangs at the time. He was discharged after only a day.
Local snake expert Qaiser Hussain told the outlet that cases of dry bites, while “painful,” are quite rare, and a local journalist named Ramesh Sharma said the district is also known as Naglok (meaning abode of serpents) because of the 200 different kinds of snakes that call the district home.
“I have never come across such an incident in Jashpur district,” Sharma said.
The incident in Pandarpadh comes shortly after a 2-year-old in Turkey bit a snake to death in August after it bit her lip in her backyard.
“Our neighbors have told me that the snake was in the hand of my child, she was playing with it and then it bit her,” Mehmet Ercan, the toddler’s father, told Newsweek. “Then she has bitten the snake back as a reaction.”
It’s unknown what kind of snake bit her, but regardless the toddler survived and is alive and well.