31.1 C
Saturday, December 9, 2023

Related stories

It’s problematic that NPP is pampering Adwoa Safo – Kwabena Kwakye

Oman FM broadcaster and board member of the Ghana...

Accra West ECG recovers over GHS2m from illegal activities in 1 month

The Accra West region of the Electricity Company of...

Copyright laws are ineffective in Ghana – FIPAG

President of the Film Producers Association of Ghana (FIPAG),...

Kaneshie market women taunt NPP supporter for defending Akufo-Addo

Amidst the current economic hardships facing Ghanaians, frustration and...

Okatakyie Afrifa describes education system in Ghana as a ‘chew, pour, pass, forget

Outspoken media personality, Okatakyie Afrifa, has criticized the Ghana...


Oliver Barker-Vormawor’s mother hospitalized after his arrest

Oliver Barker-Vormawor, leader of the #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstrators, revealed that his mother was admitted to the hospital after learning of his arrest on Thursday, September 21, 2023.

In a tweet, the outspoken activist stated that his mother was released from the hospital on Saturday, coinciding with Day 3 of the ongoing protest.

- Advertisement -

“My mum was taken into the hospital on Thursday when news broke of my arrest,” he stated. “She had been on admission the whole time and was only discharged yesterday. I couldn’t even visit her.”

Barker-Vormawor and several demonstrators were apprehended by the police for contravening the Public Order Act and proceeding with their protest.

- Advertisement -


#OccupyJulorbiHouse, for good reasons, has been trending for three straight days topping trends as protesters under the guidance of Democracy Hub marched against economic malaise and corruption.

- Advertisement -

On Day 1 (September 21) of the #OccupyJulorbiHouse protests by the Democracy Hub, the police illegally rounded up hundreds of protesters who were marching to demand action on the prevailing economic crisis and corruption.

The illegal arrests, especially how they were conducted by the police, triggered harsh criticism of impeding the constitutional right to protest and deploying highhandedness on the part of the police.

Police sent the detainees to the regional headquarters before splitting them up into about eight police stations dotted across the capital, even as colleague protesters and lawyers worked to secure bail for the illegally detained persons.

In this process, other journalists and protesters who massed up, especially at the Accra Regional Command, encountered some amounts of police violence, including shoving, forced detention, seizure of phone and in the case of others, physical assault.

Day 2 and 3 passed without any major incident as police barricaded the main road leading to the presidency, Jubilee House, even before the protesters began their march towards the place.

While Day 2 saw the blocking of one part of the 37-Accra Road, the final day saw the blocking of both sides which meant vehicular traffic was greatly constrained for the better part of the day.

Both Days 2 and 3 saw some celebrities join the protest.

Latest stories