Jenni Hermoso, aged 33, expressed her belief that the decision to include players who are participating in the Spanish women’s team boycott is evidence that “nothing has changed” within the country’s football federation (RFEF), even after the resignation of its president due to the Women’s World Cup kiss controversy.
Despite the majority of Spain’s World Cup-winning squad being named on the roster for upcoming matches, the players have announced their intention to maintain their boycott.
This boycott was initiated following an incident where Luis Rubiales, the former RFEF president, kissed Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the trophy presentation ceremony in Australia.
If the players decline the call-up, they could potentially face fines of up to 30,000 euros and the suspension of their federation licence for a duration ranging from two to 15 years under Spain’s Sports Act.
The RFEF did not provide an immediate response to a request for comment outside of regular business hours.
In a statement released earlier on Monday, the federation expressed its belief in the necessity of “structural changes” and emphasized the need to identify those accountable for the behavior highlighted by the players.
Montse Tome, who has taken over as the coach of the national team, indicated that Jenni Hermoso was omitted from the squad due to the significant media scrutiny she had endured over the past month.
“We stand with Jenni. We believe that the best way to protect her is like this, but we are counting on Jenni,” Tome said.
Hermoso asked who she needed protection from.
“A claim was made today stating that the environment within the federation would be safe for my colleagues to rejoin yet at the press conference it was announced that they were not calling me as a means to protect me,” she said.
“Protect me from what? And from whom?”