29.3 C
Saturday, December 2, 2023

Related stories

Munich Airport freezes operations due to heavy snow

Southern Germany has been grappled with intense snowfall, causing...

Off-duty British soldier meets untimely end in Kenya

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has announced the tragic...

US orders Israel to safeguard civilians in Gaza prior to start of hostilities

More information is now available from the US statement...

‘Nothing will stop us’ from eliminating Hamas – Netanyahu tells US

Israel's leader Benjamin Netanyahu talked to US Secretary of...

Israel warned by US over hostilities return

The US diplomat Antony Blinken has told Israel to...

Millions of Somalians escapes home due to El Niño flooding

The government of Somalia says that over one million...

Cameroon fights vaccine hesitancy for malaria

Cameroon's Health Minister, Dr. Manaouda Malachie, wants people to...


British and Irish citizens unwell after eating Bordeaux sardines in France

Some British and Irish people have gotten sick from eating sardines in a French restaurant and are now in the hospital.

A 32-year-old woman has passed away and a few other people are getting medical care because of a rare illness caused by contaminated food in Bordeaux.

The government health group in France, called Santé publique France, said the person who owns a wine bar in France had stored homemade sardines.

The Irish Embassy in Paris is telling people who ate at the restaurant and feel sick to see a doctor right away.

This tweet cannot be seen on your browser. Please turn on Javascript or use a different web browser to see the original content on Twitter.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) was told that a few British people went to a bar called Tchin Tchin Wine Bar in Bordeaux from September 4th to September 10th.

People who the French authorities have found and who have come back to the UK are getting medical help.

The statement says that there might be more people in the UK who ate at the Bordeaux restaurant, but the French authorities cannot find them.

Ireland’s Health Service Executive (HSE) said they knew about a few Irish people who were affected and getting treated in France.

Both health organizations advise anyone who went to the restaurant from September 4th to 10th and currently feels sick to go and see a doctor right away.

According to the NHS, botulism is a serious and rare condition that can be life-threatening. It is caused by toxins made by bacteria. These toxins usually develop when food is not preserved correctly.

These harmful substances can damage the nervous system and lead to paralysis. This can then move to the muscles that help us breathe.

It takes some time for this illness to show symptoms, which can be as short as a few hours or as long as a few days. If it’s not treated correctly, it can cause death in 5 to 10% of cases.
People who really like something a lot and live in the same place

Bordeaux is hosting some Rugby World Cup games. There are many Irish fans in the city for the team’s match against Romania on 9 September.

A doctor at Pellegrin hospital in France said that they are treating people from Ireland, America, and Canada.

Benjamin Clouzeau said that a person from Germany and a person from Barcelona had gone back to their homes to get treatment for the sickness.

Five out of the 12 patients who were getting treated needed help with their breathing as of Wednesday morning.

Latest stories