
More than half of Ghana’s treated water lost through leaks, theft and meter faults
3 mins read
17th February 2026 4:46:38 PM
4 mins readBy: Abigail Ampofo

President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Kurk Okraku, says Ghana international midfielder, Thomas Partey, is in a good frame of mind to represent his country at the upcoming 2026 FIFA World Cup.
His comments come at a time when the Black Stars deputy captain, Thomas Partey, is facing ongoing legal proceedings in the United Kingdom.
During an appearance on Accra-based station, Asaase Radio, Mr Okraku noted that the Black Stars captain will forever have the association’s support, no matter what, stressing that, even though media reports about him online present him as being in a distressing state, Partey remains resilient and confident.
“Thomas Partey is our deputy captain and a key member of the Black Stars. The GFA will never ignore any situation involving a player like Partey. We’re in constant contact with him, and he is in a good frame of mind despite what we read online. He has a strong mindset and is preparing to represent Ghana at the World Cup,” Okraku said.
He stressed that the association’s support is unwavering during what he described as a challenging period for the player.
“Thomas Partey knows our position. We stand shoulder to shoulder with him during these difficult times. I’m very positive that despite all that is happening, Partey will show up for the World Cup,” he added.
This is not the first time the association has publicly expressed its support for the player.
The Ghana Football Association (GFA) rose to the defence of the former Arsenal midfielder, Partey, following remarks by Villarreal’s coach on his contrasting form since joining the club in August last year.
Speaking during a post-match conference after Villarreal’s Champions League defeat to Bayern Leverkusen in February 2026, Marcelino García Toral said Partey is mentally affected and struggling to meet expected standards since joining the club.
He said, “Thomas, I think there’s a world of difference between the Thomas we know at Arsenal and this one. It’s very difficult to play at this pace in today’s football.”
According to him, six months is enough for Partey to have adapted to the rhythm and playing style of the club, adding that the midfielder has not been in his best form.
“So, I think it’s been six months now, and that’s enough time for this player to show us what he was capable of, or what he’s showing us now,” the coach added.
Reacting to the remarks, GFA Communications Director, Henry Asante Twum, backed Partey, praising him as one of Ghana’s best and dismissing the coach’s comments as harsh on a central figure for Ghana ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
“We believe in the quality of Partey, and we do not believe one game defines him as a player. At the FA, we do not share the coach’s view on this matter. Partey remains a top player, and we have a strong belief in his qualities,” Asante Twum said.
Thomas Partey’s legal woes
Partey has been hit with two new charges of rape in the UK.
On February 12, 2026, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed two additional counts of rape had been filed against him.
These new charges stem from a separate report of non-recent offences dating back to 2020, following a fresh investigation by the Metropolitan Police.
In total, he now stands accused of sexual offences involving four women.
The Ghanaian international's legal woes began just four days after he departed from Arsenal. He is currently facing six serious criminal charges in the UK. The charges were formally presented at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on August 5. These charges have been levelled against him by three different women.
In one of the charges, Complainant 1 claims that, between April and May 2021, Partey penetrated her anally during what began as consensual vaginal intercourse, without her consent. She further claims that between April and June 2021, Partey engaged her in anal sex on at least four separate occasions without her consent.
Complainant 2 also alleges that in December 2021, after she refused to engage in sexual activity, Partey raped her vaginally. She also claims that in February 2022, he penetrated her anally after she explicitly declined anal sex. A third allegation from Complainant 2 states that during a trip to Marbella, Spain, in June 2022, Partey raped her vaginally.
Complainant 3 also claims that in February 2022, Partey lay on top of her, attempted to kiss her, and touched her over her clothes without her consent.
However, the player has denied all the allegations levelled against him. His lawyer has denied the charges of rape and sexual assault against her client.
3 mins read
4 mins read
5 mins read
4 mins read
5 mins read
4 mins read
3 mins read
5 mins read
5 mins read