
C/R: Kia truck ploughs into crowd at Agona Asafo; 5 critically injured
4 mins read
28th July 2025 2:13:10 PM
4 mins readBy: Phoebe Martekie Doku
A fire incident at the University of Ghana, Legon campus, has engulfed and burnt a vehicle beyond recognition.
According to a statement by the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), the incident occurred on Friday, July 25.
It explained that the vehicle was already in flames, with the engine compartment and interior severely damaged, before the firefighters arrived at the scene.
“At exactly 22:17 hours, the Legon Fire Station received a distress call reporting a vehicular fire on campus, near the Sports Stadium, on 25th July 2025. An appliance was dispatched within a minute,” the statement read in part.
GNFS added that swift actions by firefighters prevented the fire from spreading further.
Meanwhile, the cause of the fire outbreak has yet to be ascertained, and no casualties have been reported.
Ghana has experienced multiple fire outbreaks within the first few months of the year, raising concerns among citizens as homes, businesses, and markets suffer extensive damage.
Earlier this month, a devastating fire swept through a well-known slum in Ahodwo, Baba Ayoyo, within the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly, displacing more than 400 dwellers.
The fire incident, which destroyed over 100 makeshift structures, occurred on Wednesday, July 9, around 8:30 p.m. The victims have been left with nothing to recover; they have therefore appealed to the government to come to their aid.
“I stay here with my grandmother, and she is old. We plead with you to help us. We slept in someone’s veranda last night. All our things are burnt; we couldn’t take anything,” a distressed woman shared.
Speaking to the media on Thursday, July 10, Assembly Member for the Ridge Nhyiaeso electoral area, Abraham Boadi, indicated that the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) will have an engagement with victims on Friday, July 11.
"We have planned that tomorrow, around 4 o’clock, NADMO and national security will be here to assess the place and evaluate the property lost. The challenge now is that the number of displaced persons is too large, so we can’t find shelter for them all. We’ve encouraged them to speak to friends and family while we wait on NADMO,” he said.
Also at Madina Ritz Junction in the Greater Region, Accra, multiple wooden structures were destroyed as a result of a fire incident.
The victims have been left with nothing to recover; they have therefore appealed to the government to come to their aid.
t was earlier reported that a 2-month-old baby died as a result of the fire incident. However, GNFS, in a Facebook post on July 17, said that after engaging with some victims, particularly women, they confirmed that no lives were lost.
“A verification team was dispatched to the scene this morning, and after engaging affected residents, particularly the women, and a Unit Committee Member of the area, the Service can confirm that no lives were lost.”
Many have demanded an investigation, suspecting that some of these incidents may be deliberate acts by unidentified individuals.
While the GNFS probes these occurrences, it has emphasized the need for heightened fire safety awareness, routine inspections, and strict enforcement of safety regulations to prevent further disasters.
Meanwhile, the service has on several occasions contributed to response delays due to outdated equipment.
The GNFS has called for an increase in fire stations nationwide as well as a supply of modern equipment.
The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has provided statistics on fire outbreaks so far this year.
There has been a slight increase in fire cases nationwide in the first half of 2025.
A comparison of data from January to June last year and that of this year's first six months indicates that Ghana recorded 3,595 fire cases.
According to the Ghana National Fire Service, that is about 19 more cases than the 3,576 cases recorded during the same time in 2024, a sharp increase in cases representing a 0.53% rise.
The monthly breakdown of fire cases reported this year is as follows: January (964), February (678), March (619), April (483), May (457), and June (394).
The Greater Accra Region recorded the highest number of fire incidents, with 628 cases, followed by the Ashanti Region with 581 cases and the Central Region with 408.
The North East Region reported the lowest number of incidents—just 10. During an interview on Tuesday, July 8, the Head of Public Relations at the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), Desmond Ackah, revealed that due to their improved and swift response to fire cases, they have been able to save over GHC203 million worth of property in the last two quarters of 2025.
Below are the top causes of fire incidents, according to the Ghana National Fire Service.
Electrical faults from illegal connections, poor wiring, and overloading of circuits. Improper use of electrical appliances, such as overused extension cords and unattended devices.
Unattended cooking, especially with gas, electric, or coal-based stoves. Careless use of naked flames like candles, mosquito coils, lighters, and matches.
Gas leakages and poor handling of LPG cylinders. Bush and vegetation burning, particularly during the dry season. Vehicle fires are due to poor maintenance and road accidents.
Unsafe welding and other hot-work practices. Deliberate acts of arson. Meanwhile, GNFS has reported a significant improvement in the fight against prank calls.
The Service recorded a dramatic 34.77% reduction in prank calls, having recorded about 364,020 prank calls in the first half of 2024, as against 237,470 in 2025.
The Service attributed the reduction in prank calls to consistent public education campaigns and increased awareness of the legal consequences of misusing emergency lines.
4 mins read
1 min read
4 mins read
4 mins read
5 mins read
4 mins read
1 min read
5 mins read
6 mins read