
Cybercriminals creating fake business profiles using Google Map, Search - CSA warns public
3 mins read
6th August 2025 8:13:36 AM
5 mins readBy: Abigail Ampofo
The La General Hospital, which faced intermittent stalls during the Akufo-Addo-led administration, is set to be completed in two years, according to the Member of Parliament for the La Dadekotopon constituency, Rita Naa Odoley Sowah.
Speaking to the media during a site visit yesterday, Tuesday, August 5, the Member of Parliament gave a firm assurance that the hospital is likely to be completed in two years. She said it will not cross 2028 without completion.
“…And so, erm, I believe in 2 years, we are about 30% work done so far—I believe in 2 years it should be completed so that we will be able to use the health facility so that it will not go to 2028,” Rita Naa Odoley Sowah said.
Addressing reports that the La General Hospital project had stalled, Member of Parliament Rita Naa Odoley Sowah clarified that work was still ongoing when the current National Democratic Congress (NDC) government assumed office, contrary to widespread claims. She emphasised that the Mahama-led administration has no intention of abandoning the project.
“So the work wasn't stalled when we came to power; work was still going on. Like I said, they raised certificates, and so the certificates are yet to be honoured,” she added.
However, she explained that the government is committed to following due process, including auditing and reviewing existing documents, to assess the project's current state before officially resuming work.
“When there's a new government, we have to look into the documents of the old. Been in touch with the former Health Minister. We came into office January 7th... His Excellency appointed ministers, and so the ministers have to look through their documents,” adding that as the Member of Parliament for La Dadekotopon, she has been in constant communication with Health Minister Kwabena Mintah Akandoh to ensure the project is captured in the Ministry’s plans.
“Despite that, I have been in touch with them to ensure that I went to him to ensure that he will not forget us, and he has assured us that he has not forgotten us because we were in this thing together, coming into the hospital premises to ensure that even work commenced here at the La General Hospital,” she continued.
The Health Minister Honourable Mintah Akandoh, according to Rita Naa Odoley Sowah, is interested in the completion of the project. She expressed optimism regarding the completion of the hospital, citing that
“And we are in it together — the Honourable Minister, Akandoh — we've been in this hospital case together. There's no way he would abandon it, and I believe in his words because we have a father who cares. That's why we are coming up with the Mahama Cares.”
The Mahama Cares initiative, officially launched on April 29 at the University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) in Accra, is a flagship health support programme aimed at providing financial assistance to Ghanaians battling chronic illnesses not adequately covered under the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
At the launch, President Mahama committed to donating 50 percent of his annual salary to the Fund, signalling strong leadership and personal commitment to healthcare equity. Health Minister Mintah Akandoh has also followed suit, announcing a three-month salary donation to back the initiative. He further disclosed that several cabinet colleagues had joined the cause, including Trade, Agribusiness and Industry Minister Elizabeth Ofosu-Agyare and Gender Minister Naa Momo Lartey, who have both pledged one month’s salary each.
To ensure broad-based participation, the President has directed all government appointees to contribute the equivalent of at least one month’s salary to the Fund. Vice President Professor Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang has pledged four months of her salary to support the fund.
In addition, the general public has been encouraged to make contributions through the short code *255#, accessible on all mobile networks. The Ghana Medical Trust Fund Bill, 2025, also known as MahamaCares, has been passed by Parliament.
The Bill, which was laid before Parliament on Monday, July 21, was opposed by the Minority; the caucus warned that it could put a strain on the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) budget and its operations. The Mahama Cares fund is expected to play a pivotal role in enhancing healthcare access for many Ghanaians, particularly those battling chronic diseases and unable to afford the necessary medical treatment.
The development journey of the La General Hospital
The La General Hospital was originally established as a Polyclinic in the 1960s. During the first term of President John Dramani Mahama, he upgraded the hospital to a General Hospital in 2015 to expand access to quality healthcare for residents of La and surrounding communities. The hospital operated for approximately 55 years before its transformation into a general hospital. It became a vital health facility in the Greater Accra Region, offering outpatient services, maternity care, and emergency treatment.
Five years after the upgrade, the hospital was demolished by the government led by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo following concerns of safety and durability. There were structural assessments that deemed the building unsafe for continued use. The government promised to replace it with a more modern, ultra-standard hospital that would better serve the growing population and meet international healthcare standards.
However, the reconstruction faced significant delays. Although the sod-cutting ceremony was held in 2020, actual construction did not begin until January 2024. The delay was attributed to funding challenges, particularly with securing insurance for the loan from the Chinese company Sinosure. These issues stalled progress for nearly two years, causing frustration among residents and stakeholders.
The Majority Leader in Parliament explained that funding was withheld by sponsors after Ghana entered into an engagement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). This made it difficult for the government to access approved funds.
In February 2024, during his State of the Nation Address, President Akufo-Addo announced that construction had officially commenced and that a 15% advance mobilisation fee had been paid to the contractor. Following this announcement by the president, many labelled the move as a political gimmick focused on getting votes instead of genuinely showing a commitment to fulfilling long-standing healthcare promises.
The new hospital is designed to be a 160-bed facility with advanced medical departments including surgical units, maternity and neonatal services, imaging centres, and a mortuary.
3 mins read
5 mins read
5 mins read
6 mins read
6 mins read
2 mins read
4 mins read
2 mins read
6 mins read