
C/R: Kia truck ploughs into crowd at Agona Asafo; 5 critically injured
4 mins read
26th March 2025 2:58:00 PM
2 mins readBy: Phoebe Martekie Doku
The legal representative for former National Signals Bureau (NSB) Director-General Kwabena Adu-Boahene, Samuel Atta Akyea, has raised concerns over what he describes as a violation of his client’s rights following his arrest.
According to Atta Akyea, he was denied the opportunity to privately interrogate Adu-Boahene and his wife, Angela Boateng, after they were taken into custody by the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO).
Providing details of the arrests, he stated that Adu-Boahene was apprehended on Thursday, March 20, while his wife was detained the following day when she voluntarily visited EOCO to check on her husband.
“Adu-Boahene was picked up on Thursday, March 20, and Angela, his wife, was picked up on Friday when she voluntarily walked to EOCO to go and see her husband. A common thief will run away after her husband has been arrested. She will not walk into harm’s way. They have since been incarcerated,” he said.
Atta Akyea further revealed that EOCO imposed conditions on his access to his clients, insisting that prosecutors be present during their discussion. He strongly objected to this, citing a breach of lawyer-client confidentiality.
“They said no, they will not permit me to interrogate them unless they [prosecutors] are seated in the interrogation. So I violated the lawyer-client confidentiality. I told them, No, I will not do that,” he stated.
He explained that after failing to gain unrestricted access to his clients, he attempted to escalate the matter by meeting EOCO’s leadership. However, while waiting in the conference room, he learned that Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine, had publicly accused Adu-Boahene of wrongdoing at a press briefing.
“While I was in their boss’s conference room, the press conference started, in which the attorney general was crucifying the innocent before they were pronounced guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction,” he remarked.
The Attorney-General had alleged that Adu-Boahene was involved in the misappropriation of a $7 million cyber defense system contract, which had been diverted into his private account. Adu-Boahene and his wife remain in EOCO custody as investigations continue.
4 mins read
1 min read
4 mins read
4 mins read
5 mins read
4 mins read
1 min read
5 mins read
6 mins read