24.2 C
Wednesday, June 7, 2023


Immigration officer saves two police officers from violent church attacker in Sefwi Wiawso

Related stories

Dr. Kwaku Oteng introduces new Angel Cola soft drink

One of the leading producer of alcoholic beverages in...

Nogokpo spokesperson demands more respect for Ewes

In order to create an example for future generations,...

Presidential staffer endorses Alan Cash as Ghana’s next president

Presidential staffer, George Atsu Egbenunya, has publicly endorsed former...

Ghana has not been abandoned by Denmark – Danish Ambassador

The Danish Ambassador to Ghana has emphasized Denmark's commitment...

Uphold and restore judiciary’s lost dignity – Minority to Chief Justice nominee

The Minority in Parliament has urged the Chief Justice...

Justice Dotse in tears as he retires

It was an emotional moment at the Supreme Court...

Praise Reloaded Concert 2023 slated for June 11 in Kumasi – Joe Mettle

Gospel musician, Joe Mettle, has announced his annual 11th...

Ghana and Denmark strengthen ties to boost development

Minister for Works and Housing, Hon. Francis Asenso-Boakye, has...

Speaker Babgin’s SIM card allegedly deactivated

The speaker of parliament, Alban Bagbin's SIM card has...
- Advertisement -

A heroic immigration officer prevented a potential massacre at an Anglican Church in Sefwi Wiawso in the Western North Region on Saturday, when he rescued two police officers who were overpowered by a violent man wielding a pestle and a knife.

The immigration officer, AICOII Nurudeen Abul-Ganiew Takra, was on his way home from work when he saw a crowd of terrified people near the church park, close to the Wiawso District Police Station.

- Advertisement -

He rushed to the scene and found an inspector and a corporal lying unconscious on the ground, with their AK 47 rifle dropped beside them.

The attacker, who had earlier stormed the church and assaulted some worshippers, was trying to grab the rifle and cause more harm, but Takra was faster and snatched the weapon before him.

- Advertisement -

The attacker then charged at Takra with a pestle, ignoring his warning shot. Takra had no choice but to shoot him in the right thigh to stop him.

According to ACI Augustus Acheampong, the Western Regional Immigration Service Commander, Takra acted with extreme caution and professionalism, as he was mindful of the safety of the crowd that had gathered around.

- Advertisement -

He said Takra handed over the rifle and the attacker’s belongings, which included a sharp knife and a locally made catapult, to the police for further investigation.

The two police officers and the attacker were taken to the Wiawso Municipal Hospital for treatment.

A formal report has reportedly been made to the police and the AK 47 rifle handed over to the Wiawso District Police for further action.

More details to follow as investigations advance.

Source: The Independent Ghana


- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories