25.2 C
Friday, June 2, 2023


Sudan extends tenuous ceasefire while combatants rampage in Darfur

Related stories

18 killed after rockets hit Khartoum market

A market in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan, was...

‘We are the poorest’ – Zimbabwe nurse discloses

The International media has been told by the a...

Kenya has being called to probe police murders during protests

Human Rights Watch (HRW) has urged Kenyan authorities to...

Son of Libya’s ex-spy head found dead – Reports

Reports have it that the son of a notorious...

Mozambicans apprehended in Malawi while attempting to sell pangolin

Two Mozambican residents were apprehended in neighboring Malawi after...

Nigerian police rescues 6 pregnant women in “baby factory” raid

Local media has reported that Nigerian police rescued six...

Nigeria: Richest banker Jim Ovia earns $26m a day as NGX surges

In a spectacular turn of events, Jim Ovia, Nigeria's...

Anti-LGBTQ bill approval is done! – Uganda president declares

Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, president of Uganda has declared that...

Sudan losing dozens of babies in orphanages due to ongoing conflict

Amidst the outbreak of conflict in Khartoum, Dr Abeer...
- Advertisement -

Residents in a city in Sudan’s Darfur region reported seeing armed gunmen storm through the area on Thursday April 27, 2023 fighting and pillaging homes and businesses. Despite the prolongation of a tenuous cease-fire between Sudan’s two senior generals, whose power battle has claimed hundreds of lives, the carnage continued.

The mayhem in the Darfur city of Genena pointed to how the rival generals’ fight for control in the capital, Khartoum, was spiraling into violence in other parts of Sudan.

- Advertisement -

The two sides accepted a 72-hour extension of the truce late Thursday. The cease-fire has not stopped the fighting but created enough of a lull for tens of thousands of Sudanese to flee to safer areas and for foreign nations to evacuate thousands of their citizens by land, air and sea.

The cease-fire has brought a significant easing of fighting in Khartoum and its neighboring city Omdurman for the first time since the military and a rival paramilitary force began clashing on April 15, turning residential neighborhoods into battlegrounds.

- Advertisement -

Both the military, led by Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, led by Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, said that they accepted the extension of the truce. But explosions and heavy gunfire could be heard in at least one Khartoum neighborhood late Thursday.


- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories